Derrymount Industry Day, 2018
What a success!
It may have been the first time we’d organised and hosted a careers / industry event as such, but boy was it successful!
The aim of the event was to provide a friendly and non-threatening SEN-specific experience during which the students attending could:
- Find out about local colleges and the courses they offer
- Learn what apprenticeships are and what opportunities might be available for them locally
- Learn more about different ‘career pathways’ there might be in the public sector
- Meet with local companies, such as Sainsbury’s, to find out about work experience and volunteering opportunities
- Learn from parents/others connected with DMS about their jobs and professions e.g. midwifery, nursing
- Mix and interact with other young people from other Nottinghamshire SEN schools
Not only did the Derrymount students enjoy the event, we were delighted to have groups visit from three other SEN schools.
The feedback we got from everyone (exhibitors and attendees) was very positive – it was just the right kind of event (and environment) for students to receive expert career guidance and advice as part of their broader ‘Preparing for Adulthood’ work that takes place in school.
Thank you to everyone who contributed towards the success of the event – especially the students that came round with scrummy school-baked buns 🙂
Now, enjoy some photos taken on the day!